The Shipwrecked Pirates

Go Back   The Shipwrecked Pirates > Crows Nest > On the Horizon

Old 06-14-2017, 12:19 AM   #81
Mutt
17% Nazi

Im still not sold on the premise that its healthy for a game to need grinding to be competitive. The biggest games in the world are based around balanced gameplay not player X has spent 3 months longer playing so he should get an advantage. The advantage is the fact that hes 3 months more experienced
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 AM   #82
Maj
Island Girl

I don't think your statement is true, it takes time to level up in league, there were serious grinds in WOW. They use different automated mechanisms to ensure you're competing at your level for the most part though. This is why games like DF are doomed to fail.

Many players are literally griefed out of the game before they have enough experience to compete at the highest level where they are on common ground with the better players.

I see benefits to leveling a character but I'm not sure if it's a good fit for games like DF. Regardless, the character grind is nothing compared to the playtime requirement to get good at the game.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #83
Lexendros
Pirate Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Im still not sold on the premise that its healthy for a game to need grinding to be competitive. The biggest games in the world are based around balanced gameplay not player X has spent 3 months longer playing so he should get an advantage. The advantage is the fact that hes 3 months more experienced
Niche game
Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #84
Mutt
17% Nazi

Valid and valid
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #85
Baraz Barkuun
Swabby

As much as grinding in DF (including DF-ROA) is annoying, all other MMORPG I try have a lot of grinding and the difference between low and high level is insane.

One example, out of many :

a) A game like LOTRO or other classical MMO : Guardian level 15 (1000 hp, armor 500, DPS 20) confronts a level 30 Guardian (2200 hp, armor 1100, DPS 42). ...

b) Darkfall Rise of Agon : a one-week character (385 hp, average resist. 7, damage 32) confronts a one-month character (400 hp, average resist. 10.5, damage 40). Many players kick my ass with characters who are not better developed. If they surprise me, get in burst of damage before I do or if I miss too many times, I lost that fight.

In most MMORPG, you have to grind from level 1 to 50 and it takes weeks or months. A level 30 character can often turbo-wipe a whole group of low-level characters. There is no comparison with DF, but we notice it still in DF, probably because it goes counter to the spirit of what DF should be.

Last edited by Baraz Barkuun; 06-24-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Baraz Barkuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #86
Skitso
Barnacle Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
In and going somewhat medium core so far, got a few others I somehow dragged along for now to check out the game.
who u playing with sol?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #87
Sol
Cutself

Haven't been, kinda stopped playing after the first month with no group. I miss it for sure, great nostalgia from DF.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote